By Leon Ho
Ever wondered why most New Year’s resolutions don’t survive past February? It’s because they often target isolated aspects of our lives, neglecting the broader picture of our well-being. This year, we’re taking a different route — one that considers the whole you. Introducing the 6 Focus Priorities of Life, a balanced blend of your Outer and Inner Worlds, designed to harmonize every facet of your life.
The Outer World encompasses the tangible aspects: your Family & Relationships, Wealth & Money Satisfaction, and Career and Work. It’s what others can see, the part of your life you present to the world.
The Inner World, however, delves deeper, focusing on your Mental Strength, Physical Health, and Spiritual Wellness. This is the private sphere where your true self resides and thrives.
Why this dual approach? Because true fulfillment comes from nurturing both worlds. A lucrative career (Outer World) means little without mental peace (Inner World). Thriving relationships (Outer World) are richer when supported by spiritual wellness (Inner World). This year, let’s not just change habits; let’s transform our lives from the inside out and the outside in. Are you ready for a journey that’s as deep and wide as your aspirations? Let’s dive in.
The 6 Focus Priorities of Life
Picture your life as a garden. The Outer World is the part everyone sees — the lush lawn, blooming flowers, and sturdy trees. It’s where your social, financial, and professional achievements live. But beneath the surface lies the Inner World, the soil and roots that nourish and stabilize — your thoughts, health, and spirit. Both worlds must be tended to for the garden to flourish.
OUTER WORLD PRIORITIES:
- Family & Relationships: These are the people who see your garden every day. Nurturing these connections ensures a supportive and vibrant environment, crucial for weathering life’s storms.
- Wealth & Money Satisfaction: This is the garden’s infrastructure. Financial stability allows you to beautify and expand your space, giving you the freedom to enjoy it without worry.
- Career and Work: Your garden’s showcase plants. A fulfilling career provides a sense of achievement and recognition, showcasing your skills and dedication to the world.
INNER WORLD PRIORITIES:
- Mental Strength: The soil of your garden. A resilient and positive mindset ensures that everything planted will thrive, helping you to adapt and grow through life’s challenges.
- Physical Health: The roots and water. A healthy body ensures that your garden can withstand harsh conditions and continue to grow, providing a solid base for everything else.
- Spiritual Wellness: The connection to the ecosystem. It’s understanding that your garden is part of a larger landscape, providing a sense of peace, purpose, and belonging.
By balancing these six priorities, you’re not just making resolutions; you’re committing to a richer, more vibrant life. As we explore each area, think about your own Outer and Inner Worlds. Where could they use some nurturing? How might they better support each other?
Your journey to a balanced, enriched life starts here.
Family & Relationships: Cultivate Your Inner Circle
Esteemed psychologist Abraham Maslow ranked love and belonging among top human needs for a reason – caring connections sustain us. Of the Life Focus Priorities, thoughtfully nurturing relationships profoundly enables resilience and meaning. So before chasing external goals this year, look inwards at who matters most.
The following 5 resolutions focus on simple, consistent actions backed in psychology to foster intimacy without demanding extra hours. By being vulnerable, present and forgiving with partners, kids and soul friends regularly, feel the returns through heightened trust and goodwill over time. Don’t take those dearest for granted amid the shuffle of busy lives. Deep relationships anchor your whole self.
1. Walk and Talk with Your Partner
Psychologist John Gottman discovered that small affectionate gestures between couples – not lavish dates – form the bedrock for solid lifelong marriages. It’s the little things.
Simply taking leisurely weekend strolls together for open conversations and emotional check-ins will do more to reinforce your romantic bond than expensive dinners out. Schedule this sacred space.
Whenever you hit an impasse, see it as an opportunity to understand each other better by exploring contrasting perspectives with curiosity rather than accusations. Move forward with empathy.
The Saturday Morning Stroll
- Designate Saturday mornings for a long walk together, free of distractions. Use the relaxing setting to have open and caring conversations about your dreams, goals, concerns etc.
2. Establish Daily 10-Minute Kid Chats
Far more than grand family outings, it’s gentle daily rituals that build parental trust and comfort. Scientists affirm consistency matters most. Carve out 10 minutes nightly for your unique parent-child activity, whether reading books or playing games.
Your child yearns to be seen for the good-hearted person they are beyond the behaviors they’re still learning to express properly. Shower them with compassion.
- Parents set aside 10 focused minutes before bed to play a short designated game where kids share about their day, thoughts and feelings.
3. Initiate Monthly Reconciliation Meetings
Resentments shackle us to the past. Have you been avoiding facing relevant past hurts in your closest circles? As couples therapist Esther Perel says, gently acknowledge wounds before expecting others’ immediate understanding. Aim to communicate hopes.
The past can’t be changed, but you write the next chapter together.
- If old wounds linger with certain friends or family members, initiate short in-person reconciliation meetings to address issues monthly in a spirit of understanding – let go of resentment.
4. Organize Seasonal Family Gatherings
As elders age, opportunities fade to soak up their wisdom and nostalgic stories from eras gone by. Before time limits intergenerational bonding, spearhead gatherings this year where relatives can trade tales and smiles across the years.
Each reunion offers a beautiful chance to nurture familial ties through humor and heritage passing. Document favorite anecdotes.
Bring The Family Together
- As a meaningful family tradition, spearhead planning two seasonal parties or potlucks annually for relatives to reconnect in-person over food, activities and warmth.
5. Prioritize Bimonthly Calls with Your Confidants
Life grows busier, but don’t let your soul friends get lost in the shuffle – those rare few who know and uphold the real you.
Schedule biweekly video catch-ups to invest in emotional intimacy with one or two irreplaceable allies. Psychologists confirm prioritizing deeper friends over casual acquaintances sustains us far more.
Studies reveal our resilience and purpose soars when we feel truly heard, understood and supported through life’s ups and downs. Don’t neglect those friends who stand by the truest version of you.
30 Minute Catchups
- Schedule 30-minute video chat catch-ups with 2-3 close friends every two weeks to nourish emotional intimacy and prevent losing touch over years.
6. Designate Weekly Device-Free Family Time
Technology over-immersion risks gradually replacing in-person interactions and emotional bonding between loved ones over years if left unchecked. Guard sacred spaces for device-free undivided presence.
Studies have found simple ritual of enjoying regular screen-free meals together, focusing wholeheartedly on family bonding conversations, boosted child academic performance, self-esteem and overall wellbeing measurably over years by enabling stronger family connections.
Unplugged Family Time
- Schedule consistent device-free family experiences even for one hour weekly – from cooking or crafts to walks outdoors followed by a shared group activity promoting laughter and memories.
7. Learn Your Love Language
The seminal research of Dr. Gary Chapman revealed each person instinctively gives and feels loved primarily through one of five love languages – physical touch, words of affirmation, quality time, acts of service or gift giving. Identify which dialect matters most to your closest circle.
When family or friends feel cherished through their unique love language consistently, emotional tanks fill up measurably fostering long-term relational resilience according to studies. Speak to fill your peoples’ love tanks.
Share Love Generously
- Complete a short quiz to identify your own and loved ones’ love languages. Then intentionally convey affection through those channels – forehead kiss for physical touchers, performing helpful tasks for those valuing service etc.
8. Host Friends Weekly or Monthly
Harvard’s decade long adult development study tracking life satisfaction trajectories emphasized one key variable – the depth of an individual’s social connections through hosting beloved friends and chosen family regularly.
Life grows increasingly mobile, yet the research revealed those upholding a weekly or monthly ritual gathering a core circle to nourish bonds through shared meals, activities, conversations and warmth built measurable resilience through even tumultuous chapters.
The Fellowship of Friends
- Make your home a hub for connection by preparing recurring evenings or weekends dedicated to nurturing relationships with those kindred spirits that feel like family. Rotate informal hosting amongst your inner circle.
9. Write Old-Fashioned Love Letters
In an age of digital detachment, channel timeless romantic gestures by reviving the lost art of love letter writing – for your spouse, fiancé, boyfriend, girlfriend or even prospective partner.
Tap the Power of the Pen
- Set reminders bimonthly to write your beloved a poetic love letter conveying what you cherish about them, favorite memories created together, amusing anecdotes illustrating why your spirits lift in their presence and hopes for your shared path ahead. Imagine their smile finding your heartfelt prose.
10. Embark on Monthly Couples Adventures
Over years of comfortable familiarity, even treasured relationships risk falling into disengaged auto-pilot. Yet shared exhilaration while navigating novel experiences together psychologically bonds couples at the biochemical level, activating trust, passion and humor. Set monthly quests sustaining adventure.
Craft Shared Stories
- Commit to one fresh exploit monthly – from salsa dance classes to group cooking tutorials to couples rock climbing adventures. Carve out designated couple time while trying new things, leaning into discomfort and witnessing each other overcome novel situations with good humor.
Career & Work: Strengthen Your Career Trajectory
Beyond being sources of income to pay the bills, our careers can become vessels of purpose when aligned closely with internal values and strengths. Consider the new year an invitation to evaluate professional growth through the lens of discovering work that motivates you intrinsically through passion and excellence over extrinsic rewards alone.
The following five resolutions focus on realizable, step-by-step goals to help transform your career into a platform for maximizing both expertise and meaning long-term.
11. Identify Core Professional Strengths
Clarifying where your innate talents and interests intersect with roles you find inherently meaningful creates focus for fulfilling career pivots.
Start by listing past skills that energize you and current values driving purpose. Then explore opportunities leveraging this self-awareness rather than imposing new expectations requiring drastic skill growth out of the gate. Identify adjacent paths.
- Reflect on past positions you enjoyed and why to recognize natural strengths to build on rather than impose expectations requiring drastic skill growth at once. Identify adjacent opportunities.
12. Strengthen Your Network
Beyond surface-level connections, aim to cultivate mutually supportive professional relationships that feel authentic and nourishing. Dedicate time to intentionally foster a small tribe of peers who uplift and challenge one another.
- Instead of briefly exchanging cards, get to know contacts as people first through warm rapport building. Later politely ask for advice after earning deep trust.
13. Take an Upskilling Course
Staying competitive often necessitates sharpening secondary skill sets like software proficiencies, data literacy or management tactics alongside our core competencies.
- Research online classes that enrich precisely the abilities your role is valuing more. Consistently devote an hour weekly. Long-term gains compound with consistency.
14. Negotiate Healthier Work Conditions
As ambitions evolve, reflect whether current work conditions still align. If feeling drained or desiring greater work-life balance, respectfully communicate needs and proposed solutions.
- Beyond salary, consider changes around remote flexibility, project variety, decision autonomy or team expansion that could dramatically improve your employee experience.
15. Update Your Resume
A well-crafted resume aligned to target roles catalyzes career pivots by clearly communicating your value. Modernize formatting, refine top skills, tailor content to opportunities and quantify achievements numerically. This allows you to effectively reposition skill sets for opportunities beyond surface qualifications.
- Focus on showcasing transferable experiences first before listing niche technical abilities less relevant to new industries. Emphasize measurable wins and the actual business impact of your contributions.
16. Identify Knowledge Gaps
Being proactive about detecting personal growth areas before next reviews demonstrates drive. Analyze recent projects pinpointing what additional skills could have enhanced contributions using post-mortems. This reveals precise upskilling needs for roles ahead.
- Beyond task execution, reflect on team dynamics and communication patterns to illuminate relationship building and emotional intelligence blindspots crucial for advancement.
17. Explore Parallel Career Paths
Rather than drastic shifts, incrementally expand your scope by taking on short-term projects or freelance work in complementary spaces aligning strengths to new challenges. This allows gradual career evolution versus disruptive reinvention minimizing risk.
- Identify intersections with your existing skillset applicable to roles you may not have considered. Positively embrace lateral moves as nourishing even if not vertical promotions.
18. Seek Out a Career Mentor
They say “When the student is ready, the teacher appears.” But you can also seek wise guides actively. Consider what type of leader exemplifies your aspirations and respectfully ask for their advice over coffee.
- Compile a list of qualities you admire in a potential mentor based on your values and goals. Network genuinely to make informal informational interview requests focused on their career path, not just opportunities.
19. Explore Career Coaching
An outside expert can provide impartial guidance on tuning decision-making toward roles offerings maximum fulfillment. They also stretch limiting mindsets holding you back. This accelerates clarity and accountability.
- Vet a few coaches with relevant specializations. Ask how they’ve supported clients through changes similar to your needs and if money-back guarantees apply in case the partnership lacks chemistry.
Wealth & Money Satisfaction: Expand Your Resources
Money and resources are not merely numbers in a bank account; they are the tools that fuel our life’s missions and dreams. True wealth comes from effectively utilizing these resources to pursue and fulfill our aspirations. This section presents five resolutions designed to help you align your financial practices with your personal goals, ensuring that every dollar spent or saved is a step towards a life of fulfillment and purpose. Each resolution is practical, inspiring, and achievable, aimed at empowering you to manage and grow your resources in harmony with your life’s missions.
20. Mindful Money Moments
Transition from indiscriminate spending to ‘Mindful Money Moments.’ This practice encourages you to pause and consider each expenditure, ensuring it contributes positively to your life’s goals. It’s about transforming your relationship with money, seeing it as a tool to craft a life filled with purpose and meaning.
Understand that each dollar you spend is an investment in the life you’re creating. By choosing mindfulness over mindless spending, you’re not just saving money; you’re ensuring that your financial resources truly enhance your life’s quality and align with your personal missions.
Cultivate Intentional Spending
- Start by tracking your expenses for a week. With each purchase, ask yourself, “Does this bring me closer to my life goals?” This simple question can transform your financial habits, leading to more intentional and fulfilling use of your resources.
21. Resourceful Growth Investing
This is about seeing investments not as complex financial maneuvers but as deliberate steps towards building a future that resonates with your deepest aspirations. It’s about using your resources to create a stable platform from which you can pursue your dreams.
Investing is an act of faith in your future self. It’s a commitment to nurturing and growing your resources so that they can support not just your current needs but also your future dreams. By viewing investing through this lens, the process becomes less about numbers and more about nurturing your aspirations.
Invest with Purpose
- Begin by identifying what you’re truly investing for – be it retirement, education, travel, or another personal goal. Then, take one small step towards this each month, whether researching, saving a fixed amount, or consulting with a financial advisor. Let each step remind you of the future you’re building.
22. Liberating Financial Path
Your Liberating Financial Path is about more than just paying off debt; it’s about reclaiming your freedom and using your resources to create a life unburdened by financial stress. This journey is about visualizing and moving towards a future where your money is yours to use in ways that fulfill and inspire you.
Each payment you make is not just reducing a number; it’s increasing your freedom. It’s an act of empowerment, a declaration that you are taking control of your financial future and freeing your resources to pursue the things that truly matter.
Visualize and Conquer
- Outline all your debts clearly and set a realistic plan for repayment. With each payment, envision the additional freedom you’re gaining. Celebrate small victories along the way, and remember that every step forward is a step towards a more empowered, liberated life.
23. Financial Mission Reviews
Regularly align your financial health with your life’s missions. Just as you would periodically check your physical health, these reviews ensure your financial practices support and empower your journey towards your personal goals and aspirations.
Your financial health is a reflection of your life’s priorities. By regularly reviewing and adjusting your financial strategies, you’re not just managing money; you’re curating a life. This process ensures that your resources continually resonate with and support your deepest aspirations.
Align Your Finances with Your Missions
- Set a date every three months for your Financial Mission Review. During this review, assess your spending, saving, and investment strategies. Ensure they are in harmony with your life’s missions, making adjustments as necessary to keep your financial journey aligned with your personal journey.
24. Diversified Mission Support
This resolution is about understanding and cultivating multiple income streams to provide a stable and supportive base for your life’s missions. This resolution encourages you to explore and develop various avenues of income that align with your skills, interests, and goals, adding both security and opportunity to your financial landscape.
Each stream of income you develop is a tributary feeding into the river of your life’s journey. By diversifying your income sources, you’re not just securing your financial future; you’re creating a robust and flexible support system for your aspirations, ensuring that whatever life brings, you have the resources to meet it head-on.
Expand Your Support System
- Identify one skill or interest that could potentially generate income. Research how you might develop this into a viable income stream, and take one small step towards this each month. Focus on how this new source can support and enrich your journey, adding depth and security to your financial foundation.
25. Values-Based Budgeting
Take control of your finances by creating a values-based budget aligned with what matters most. Categorize expenses not just as necessities or luxuries but as investments in your health, growth, relationships, and causes. This practice helps ensure every dollar spent mirrors what you value.
Budgeting with Purpose
- List your core values and life priorities. Categorize your expenses based on which values they serve. Tweak spending to better align with the life areas you find most meaningful. Allow your budget to reflect your highest aspirations.
26. Financial Mentorship Program
Gain empowering money insights by establishing an ongoing mentorship with a financial role model. Learn directly from someone who has achieved financial freedom without compromising core values. Let them guide you towards building wealth holistically.
- Seek out a mentor whose financial philosophy resonates with you. Meet regularly to discuss money mindsets, investment strategies, and how to construct an abundant life of purpose. Absorb their wisdom while nurturing your own financial growth.
27. Personal Mission Fund
Establish your own Personal Mission Fund to finance solo passion projects. Save and grow resources to support cherished goals without relying on others. Revel in the freedom and empowerment that comes from directly funding your own dreams.
Watching your Personal Mission Fund grow through your own consistent contributions will fill you with pride, motivation and excitement. By directly financing your solo aspirations, you are taking complete control to manifest your purposeful goals, without needing to pool resources or convince others. The independence and accountability this builds will only spur your visions further.
Choose Your Goal
- Identify a life mission you want to undertake that requires significant funding – a nonprofit venture, dream trip, advanced degree. Open a dedicated savings account and commit to regularly depositing any surplus income.
28. Conscious Commerce
Make purchases not just based on price but on how much vendors’ values align with your own. Factor in ethical practices, environmental impact, and social contribution. Support companies crafting positive change through conscious consumerism.
Vote with Your Dollar
- Research businesses you frequent on criteria you care about – sustainability, fair wages, community service. Adjust purchasing towards vendors actively upholding your values through their work. View each transaction as a chance to shape the world.
29. Appreciative Financial Inventory
Combat feelings of money scarcity by regularly acknowledging how much abundance you already have. Keep an inventory of all financial blessings – steady income, savings, support systems, successes. Refer to this when you need perspective.
Gratitude Over Lack
- Date a piece of paper Financial Appreciations. Under this header, regularly add things you feel grateful for related to money and resources. Review the growing list when finances feel lacking to cultivate appreciation.
Mental Strength: Develop Mental Fortitude
They say muscles grow through resistance training. What most miss is that our mental aptitude grows the same way – by overcoming inner obstacles. Stepping outside comfort zones, confronting fears, and pushing through failures – this adversity expands our resilience, self-discipline, and determination.
The below five resolutions provide small, manageable challenges designed to incrementally train mental muscle. Approach them with an openness to unpack lessons as you build grit and personal power to weather life’s curves.
30. Commit to a Weekly Challenge
Whether an uncomfortable social situation, difficult conversation, or an attempt that ended unsuccessfully – make a weekly effort to lean into small adversity, emerging better for it.
Understand that each challenge you face is a step towards greater mental strength. By regularly confronting what makes you uncomfortable, you train yourself to adapt and persevere, transforming barriers into stepping stones for personal growth.
Confront the Uncomfortable
- Identify situations that currently make you hesitant or uncomfortable. Each week, choose one to confront directly. Document your feelings, the outcomes, and what you learned from the experience. Over time, watch as your comfort zone expands and your mental resilience strengthens.
31. Cultivate Public Speaking Skills
Public speaking is more than just talking in front of a crowd; it’s about finding and sharing your voice with confidence and clarity. Commit to preparing and delivering a short speech on a topic you’re passionate about, and watch as your self-assurance grows with each presentation.
Expressing your thoughts and ideas confidently in front of others is a powerful form of self-affirmation. It’s not just about overcoming fear; it’s about embracing your ability to impact and inspire those around you.
Find Your Voice
- Join a local Toastmasters group or find opportunities at community gatherings where you can speak. Start with small, supportive audiences and gradually increase the challenge. Focus on the message you want to convey and the impact you wish to have.
32. Rise with Purpose
Rising with purpose simply means setting a goal to wake up 30 minutes earlier each day. Use this extra time to engage in an activity that sets a positive tone for the day — whether it’s exercise, meditation, or working on a personal project.
The way you start your day often sets the tone for the hours that follow. By rising early and with intention, you affirm your commitment to your own growth and well-being, fostering a sense of discipline and purpose that carries through the entire day.
Greet the Dawn
- Set multiple alarms if necessary and plan a rewarding morning activity. As this practice becomes routine, observe how it reshapes your perception of mornings and enhances your overall productivity and mindset.
33. Embrace the Cold (Shower)
Cold water immersion builds mental resilience quickly – starting showers warm then turning cold for the last 5 minutes, breathing deeply. Conquer the stinging sensation as you recite an empowering mantra. This practice is about more than just physical endurance; it’s a metaphor for facing life’s uncomfortable moments with courage and resilience.
Each time you face the cold water and conquer the discomfort, you’re reinforcing your ability to face challenges head-on. It’s a daily reminder that you are capable of enduring and thriving amidst discomfort.
- Start your showers warm and gradually decrease the temperature. As you stand in the cold, recite empowering mantras or affirmations. Focus on the sensation of overcoming the initial shock and the invigorating feeling that follows.
34. Complete a DIY Passion Project
Tackle a home improvement initiative like woodworking, electronics repair or arts-and-crafts only through online tutorials and personal perseverance. Revel more in the mental journey than perfect outcomes. This resolution is about the joy of learning and the satisfaction that comes from creating something with your own hands.
Engaging in a project from start to finish, especially one that requires learning new skills, is a profound exercise in patience, problem-solving, and persistence. It’s about reveling in the process of creation and the personal growth that accompanies it.
Skill Begets Confidence
- Choose a project and commit to completing it using only online tutorials and your own determination. Document your progress, the challenges you encounter, and the solutions you discover. Celebrate each step forward, regardless of the outcome, focusing on the skills and confidence you’re developing along the way.
35. Journal Daily for Clarity and Insight
Commit to 10 minutes of daily journaling to process experiences, emotions, and insights. Writing brings clarity, helping us better understand ourselves and events around us. It also enables us to track growth and patterns over time.
By regularly journaling, we foster self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and discernment. This practice reveals inner obstacles, highlights recurring triggers, and enables us to consciously shift perspectives. Like strength training, it expands our mental and emotional capacity.
- Establish a consistent time and quiet space. Date your entries. For each experience, describe the facts, your feelings, and the insights gained. Review regularly to recognize progress and patterns.
36. Learn a New Skill Outside Your Comfort Zone
Mastering new abilities requires moving beyond our comfort zone mentally and emotionally. Make it a habit to learn an entirely new skill quarterly – one seemingly outside your wheelhouse at the onset. Not only does this build grit and determination, but it expands our sense of possibility.
By learning unfamiliar skills, we realize firsthand the incredible potential within. Skills we deemed challenging or even impossible at first eventually feel within reach through consistent, focused effort. Each new proficiency reveals the extraordinary abilities lying dormant within.
Try the Unfamiliar
- Identify skills drastically outside your wheelhouse. Allot 15-30 minutes daily to learn via books, videos, podcasts, or local workshops. Track and celebrate progress.
37. Broaden Your Perspectives
Make a weekly commitment to purposefully shift your lens on a long-held belief, opinion, or way of thinking that feels absolute. Consider different angles. Question why you feel so convinced. This builds self-awareness and adaptability.
By continually challenging our staunchest mindsets, we recognize that our beliefs are changeable rather than fixed. We expand our mental elasticity and ability to respond appropriately given nuanced scenarios. We relinquish rigidity that confines our thinking and hampers growth.
Challenge Your Mindsets
- Identify a belief or opinion you hold as undeniable fact. Research counterpoints. Analyze your stance for validity rather than seeking flaws in others’ reasoning. Be willing to adjust.
38. Learn Mindfulness Techniques
Commit to learning formal mindfulness techniques through books, videos, or guided exercises such as the Mindful Focus Toolkit. Develop the ability to center and ground yourself amidst stressful circumstances. This builds resilience along with mental control and emotional regulation.
By practicing effective mindfulness skills, we better navigate emotionally-charged situations with equilibrium and grace. Rather than feel controlled by environments and interactions, we take charge of our inner terrain, enabling clearer thinking and responsive action.
- Start small – 5 minutes daily sitting quietly, focusing on your breath and bodily sensations without attachment or judgment. Gradually increase meditation time, supplementing with researched techniques.
39. Establish a Daily Quiet Hour
Commit to an electronics-free quiet hour – no social media, internet searches, background noise. Spend this time alone in silence, reflection, meditation, prayer, nature or inspiring literature.
Spending structured uninterrupted time in nature sans digital stimulation reconnects and recenters us. Scientific studies prove that disconnecting from tech to connect with self and surroundings measurably reduces anxiety and stress while improving focus, creativity, mindfulness.
Unplug in Solitude
- Establish a consistent daily 60 minutes alone in a serene environment removed from digital inputs. Spend time focusing inward through preferred contemplative practices.
Physical Health: Nurture Your Vitality
Our bodily health and mental clarity are intricately connected – with the vibrancy of one fueling the other. Yet in the rush of ambitious goal-setting, we often overlook foundational wellbeing practices upholding peak performance.
This new year, commit to honoring your physical vessel through consciousness rather than duty alone. Approach the following resolutions as rituals seeding whole-life vitality when tended consistently over time. Move with patience and self-compassion as you sustainably grow nutritive habits.
40. Adopt an Energy Promoting Morning Ritual
Beyond rushing into hustle, the dawn hours set the tone physically and mentally like a pre-performance warm-up. They direct focus and cellular equilibriums. Craft an empowering morning ritual strategically aligning mindset and movement for peak performance.
The average routine jarringly shifts bodies from sleepy to stressed. By consciously awakening our faculties first thing, we seize control of energy and attention like elite athletes methodically preparing for championship execution.
- Wake gently before obligations to hydrate, stretch consciously, set inspiring intentions and breathe deeply. Envision how you wish to show up.
41. Incorporate More Natural Light
Modern environments trade sunlight for artificial lighting, yet we evolved intrinsically dependent on its nourishing spectrum for optimal functioning mentally and physiologically. Make enlightened adjustments.
This resolution is less about chasing health metrics but unlocking your most radiant untapped potential. What transformations might unfold by aligning lifestyle rhythms around light as our primeval ancestors? Our energy blueprint awaits awakening.
Light as Fuel
- Studies confirm sunlight elevates mood, reaction times and sleep quality while lowering inflammation and disease risk. Structure exposure intentionally.
42. Adopt Blue Light Blocking Habits
Digital devices emit artificial light that suppresses melatonin and disrupts sleep cycles linked to health declines over years. Safeguard your body’s intrinsic circadian rhythms.
Your physiology evolved intrinsically responsive to cues from natural light spectrums over eons. Reclaim this primal alignment missed since the advent of artificial lighting only a century ago.
Preserve Natural Rhythms
- Make small adjustments to reduce blue light exposure from phones, TVs, laptops and LED bulbs, especially after sunset. Notice improved sleep quality, cognition and vitality.
43. Set Process-Based Weekly Exercise Goals
Rather than compartmentalize fitness, encompass movement of any modalities which boost biomarkers like stamina, flexibility and strength revealing whole-body vitality. It is intelligent consistency unleashing your peak potential, not intensity alone. Your body innately knows the way.
When movement becomes simply an accompaniment to life’s vibrant flow rather than another duty or chore, liberation follows. Physical vitality interweaves with creative vigor, mental clarity and even heightened intuition.
- Make exercise an accompaniment to life’s vibrancy rather than a chore. Physical vitality interweaves with creative vigor, mental clarity and even intuition.
44. Incorporate Intermittent Fasting
Our impulse for endless consumption compromises cellular functioning over decades. Yet gentler rhythms of periodic fasting while hydrating allows innate body wisdom to orchestrate its miraculous self-regeneration through recycling and fortifying physiological resilience.
Intermittent fasting untethers us from the illusion of control, surrendering instead to a profound order far vaster than our myopia can architect. It calls us to rest in our vulnerability, nested in this intricate web of being. Here we rediscover our indestructible wholeness.
Cleanse and Renew
- For beginners: stop eating 3 hours before bed. Gradually extend nightly fasts, simply listening as your system guides you.
Spiritual Wellness: Refresh Your Inner Connection
In the hustle of everyday life, it’s easy to overlook the spiritual dimension of our existence. Yet, nurturing our spiritual wellness is crucial for a balanced and fulfilling life. It’s about connecting deeply with ourselves, the world around us, and the greater flow of life. This section presents five carefully crafted resolutions aimed at enhancing your spiritual well-being. Each one is designed to be practical, inspiring, and easily integrated into your daily routine, offering a path to deeper understanding, peace, and fulfillment.
45. Three Good Things
Instead of the vague concept of journaling, focus on identifying ‘Three Good Things’ each day. This practice centers around recognizing and appreciating the small joys and blessings in life, fostering a mindset of gratitude and contentment. It’s the little things, after all, that often bring the most happiness.
- Each evening, reflect on your day and identify three specific moments or things that brought you joy or comfort. This could be anything from a kind gesture from a colleague to the serene moments of a morning walk. Note them down or simply acknowledge them in your mind, anchoring your day in positivity.
46. One-Minute Mindfulness
Transform mindfulness into a tangible, non-intimidating practice with ‘One-Minute Mindfulness.’ Several times a day, dedicate just one minute to fully engage with your immediate environment or sensations. This brief pause can significantly enhance your awareness and bring a sense of calm to your busy day.
Find Presence in the Moment
- Identify three daily activities where you can practice one-minute mindfulness. During this minute, focus entirely on the sensations and experiences of the moment — the aroma of your coffee, the feel of the breeze, or the rhythm of your breath.
47. Establish Weekly Nature Days
Commit to spending one full day a week immersed in natural settings – forests, gardens, parks or preserves – moving slowly, meditatively through the landscape while consciously focusing all senses only on your natural surroundings.
Studies show that mindful exposure to living, vibrant nature measurably reduces stress, anxiety, depression. The variability, fractal patterns and vibrant colors stimulate optimal cognitive functioning with heightened intuition and inspiration. Immersing in nature is profoundly restorative.
Connect with the Earth
- Schedule 30 minutes of ‘Green Time’ each week. Whether it’s a walk in the park, time in your garden, or a hike in the woods, use this time to fully engage with the natural world, letting its beauty and serenity rejuvenate your spirit.
48. Daily Kindness Challenge
Redefine acts of kindness as a ‘Daily Kindness Challenge.’ Each day, think of a small, kind act you can perform. This resolution makes compassion a daily practice, enriching not just your own spiritual well-being but also positively impacting those around you.
- Each morning, set an intention to perform one act of kindness. It could be as simple as sharing a compliment, offering your seat on public transport, or sending an encouraging message. Reflect on how this act made you feel and the response it elicited.
49. Monthly Spiritual Exploration
Introduce ‘Monthly Spiritual Exploration’ to your routine. Once a month, dedicate time to engage with a spiritual text, podcast, or workshop. This resolution encourages you to continuously expand your spiritual understanding and incorporate new insights into your life.
Embark on a Journey of Discovery
- Choose one day each month for your spiritual exploration. Plan ahead by selecting a resource or event to engage with. Afterward, take time to reflect on what you learned and how it resonates with your personal spiritual journey.
50. Mindfully Complete a Manual Tasks
Choose simple manual tasks like dish washing, folding laundry, sweeping – focus completely on the physical practice without multitasking, allowing the repetitive motion to quiet and center the mind.
Mindfully completing mundane chores trains ability to center attention on the present moment. As stimulating input recedes into background, we reconnect with immediate sensory input. Monkey mind settles. Mental clarity and focus expands. We realign.
Immerse in Menial Tasks
- Select repetitive chores requiring little conscious thought. Silence devices and distractions. Fixate completely on the simplicity of motion – quieting inner noise through full immersion.
Making Your Resolutions Happen This Time!
Here you have 50 new year’s resolution ideas to inspire you to achieve more this year. Identifying your goal is the first step to getting what you want, the next step is to have a solid plan and start taking action.
*Leon Ho is the Founder and CEO of Lifehack, which he started in 2005 as a way to share his personal productivity hacks to make life easier.
*This article first appeared on the lifehack.org website.